Former Louisville police officer admits to covering up the Breonna Taylor case.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A former detective with the Louisville Police Department who assisted in forging the order that allowed police to raid Breonna Taylor’s apartment and kill her has admitted guilt on a federal conspiracy charge.

Federal investigators claim Kelly Goodlett amended the warrant with a fraudulent statement and later teamed up with another officer to concoct a lie when news of Taylor’s police shooting death on March 13, 2020, started making national headlines.

During the execution of a drug search warrant, officers knocked on Taylor’s door and shot the Black lady, age 26, to death. As the officers entered through the door, Taylor’s boyfriend fired a shot that struck one of them. The officers then returned fire, hitting Taylor many times.

The 35-year-old Goodlett testified in a federal hearing in Louisville on Tuesday in which he acknowledged planning to forge the warrant with another Louisville police officer. Shortly responding to repeated inquiries from federal judge Rebecca Jennings Grady, Goodlett.

Image: Merrick Garland, Kristen Clarke

Tamika Palmer, Taylor’s mother, was present in court on Tuesday but remained silent following the proceedings.

A federal grand jury indicted three former policemen from Louisville earlier this month on criminal and civil rights allegations. Goodlett was charged in a federal information file rather than in an indictment, which suggests that the former detective is likely working with the authorities.

On November 22, Goodlett will be sentenced. Grady said that there might be compelling reasons for the court to postpone the sentence date. It was not discussed in open court on Tuesday because a portion of the plea hearing was also held under wraps. If found guilty, she may spend up to five years in prison.

She left the department on August 5, one day after U.S. New federal charges in the Taylor case were announced by Attorney General Merrick Garland.

Charges relating to the warrant used to search Taylor’s home led to the indictment of former police officers Joshua Jaynes and Kyle Meany. When Brett Hankison, a third former cop, backed away from Taylor’s door, rounded a corner, and fired 10 rounds into the side of her two-bedroom apartment, he was accused of using excessive force. On comparable state charges earlier this year, he was declared innocent by a jury. Hankison, Meany, and Jaynes have all been let go.

If the three former policemen are found guilty of the civil rights charges, they may get a maximum term of life in prison.

According to federal prosecutors, Jaynes, who prepared the Taylor warrant, told Goodlett days before it was executed that he had confirmation from a postal inspector that a suspected drug dealer was receiving packages at Taylor’s apartment. This information was obtained, according to court documents, by Jaynes. Prosecutors claim Goodlett was aware that this was untrue and informed Jaynes that there was insufficient evidence to support Taylor’s connection to criminal conduct at the time the warrant was issued. She added a sentence stating that, in accordance with court documents, Jamarcus Glover, the alleged drug dealer, was currently residing in Taylor’s apartment.

When the Taylor shooting made national headlines two months later, the postal inspector admitted to a media outlet that he had not confirmed that parcels for Glover were being sent to Taylor’s residence. According to court documents, Jaynes and Goodlett later got together in Jaynes’ garage to discuss the Taylor warrant before Jaynes spoke with detectives.

According to the prosecution, they chose to claim that Sgt. John Mattingly, also known as J.M. in the court documents, informed them that Glover was receiving packages at Taylor’s house. Mattingly was wounded when Taylor’s apartment was raided.

Meany was fired by Louisville Police Chief Erika Shields on Friday. Meany approved the Taylor warrant and was still a sergeant when he was charged on August 4.

Meany is facing numerous federal charges following a protracted investigation by the DOJ, according to Shields, who stated in a statement that Meany should not anticipate continuing employment under such circumstances. Meany has not yet had his case heard by a jury.

The night of the killing, Hankison was the sole officer charged with being there.

More from the post


Recent Posts