One year after the shooting in “Rust,” where is the investigation?

Video
One year has passed when Halyna Hutchins, a cinematographer, was fatally murdered in New Mexico while working on the film “Rust.”

While acting out a scene on the New Mexico film set on October 21, 2021, Halyna was killed when the gun Alec Baldwin was holding went off. In a modest church on the Bonanza Creek Ranch set, the group had been practicing.

Both during a recent podcast episode and in a prime-time interview conducted soon after the fatal shooting, Baldwin insisted that he did not pull the trigger of the gun. The actor initially claimed he had pulled the gun’s hammer back as far as he could before letting go of it.

Heather Brewer, a spokesperson for the Office of the First Judicial District Attorney, State of New Mexico, said in a statement to Fox News Digital that “on the anniversary of the tragedy on the Rust film set in Santa Fe County, District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altweis remains committed to pursuing justice for the victims, and getting answers for the community.”

The District Attorney will carefully analyze all the available information and make a considered decision regarding whether to file charges against individuals involved as soon as she receives the complete report from the Santa Fe County Sheriff. Everyone is subject to the law, and victims should all receive justice.

‘EVERY SINGLE PERSON’ ON THE SET KNOWS WHO TO BLAME FOR HALYNA HUTCHINS’ DEATH,’ ALEC BALDWIN SAID OF THE ‘RUST’ SHOOTING
The investigation’s current status is shown below after a year:

THE INVESTIGATION CONTINUES. The legal lawsuit has been resolved, but the shooting in “Rust” is still under criminal investigation. The Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office has been investigating how live ammunition ended up on the set.

Baldwin, armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed, and other witnesses were all extensively questioned by the department. The sheriff’s office also asked a few outsiders for assistance.

The FBI was tasked with testing the shooting weapon. The FBI forensics study was made public by the office, and it stated that the deadly shooting’s gun “could not be made to fire without a pull of the trigger.”

The test revealed that the.45 Colt caliber F.lli Pietta single-action revolver would not discharge without the trigger being pressed when the hammer was in the quarter and half-cock positions. The gun “could not be induced to fire without a pull of the trigger when the working internal components were intact and functional” when the hammer was in the fully cocked position.

The Office of the Medical Investigator (OMI) report for New Mexico was also delivered to the sheriff’s office. The “Rust” shooting was declared an accident by the investigation.

Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas told Fox News Digital that the medical examiner’s report, which found that this was a terrible accident, is “the important report.” The New Mexico authorities have discovered, “This is the third time, that Alec Baldwin had no authority or knowledge of the allegedly unsafe conditions on the set, that he was assured by the person in charge of safety on the set that the gun was “cold,” and believed the rifle was safe.”

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s investigation case will be forwarded to the district attorney for consideration and, eventually, the determination of whether to file charges after the official OMI and forensic reports have been examined and Alec Baldwin’s cell phone records have been obtained.

According to Juan Rios, a representative for the office, the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department is currently conducting a final review of the case file.

Before being sent to the Santa Fe district attorney, the Rust investigation case file is currently undergoing final review by the sheriff’s office, according to Rios, who spoke to Fox News Digital. “We don’t have a certain date for when this will happen. Our organization is at a loss for additional comment.

ALEC BALDWIN’S ATTORNEY REACTS AFTER ACTOR IS IDENTIFIED BY DA AS POSSIBLE DEFENDANT IN “RUST” CASE

WHO MIGHT BE CHARGED? Baldwin was notably mentioned in Mary Carmack-Altwies’ appeal for urgent financing to prosecute the case as the First Judicial District Attorney of New Mexico. The DA additionally stated that she planned to bring legal action against up to four extras who worked on the Bonanza Creek Ranch production.

Carmack-Altwies stated in documentation submitted for an emergency funding that “The ‘Rust’ prosecution might be pursued from one (1) to four (4) defendants.” Famous actor Alec Baldwin is one of the potential defendants.

To decide who will face criminal charges, however, the DA must wait until it has seen the sheriff’s department’s final investigative report.

According to Heather Brewer, a representative for the Santa Fe District Attorney’s office, “The District Attorney is still awaiting the final report from the Santa Fe County Sheriff.”

Once the District Attorney has the whole report from the Santa Fe County Sheriff, she and her staff of experienced lawyers and detectives may start carefully examining all of the evidence offered. The District Attorney’s priority will be maintaining the fairness of the process and making sure that this inquiry is conducted in accordance with the highest standards, as it does in every case she handles.

ALEC BALDWIN, who was emotionally involved, recalls the “RUST” shooting: “IF I FELT THAT I WAS RESPONSIBLE, I MIGHT HAVE KILLED MYSELF.”

CIVIL ACTION SETTLEMENT On February 15, a wrongful death lawsuit was brought against Alec Baldwin and other significant actors in the production.

According to the family’s attorney, the lawsuit named Baldwin and other individuals who “are accountable for the safety on the set” and called out “reckless behavior and cost-cutting” that contributed to Hutchins’ death.

Before filing, Matthew Hutchins’ attorneys conducted witness interviews and assembled the necessary evidence in a video. In a press conference video, Matthew’s attorneys reaffirmed assertions made by cast and crew that the “Rust” set was dangerous. Baldwin, who was also a producer on the movie, as well as other members of the cast and crew of “Rust” were accused of committing “serious violations” of safety on the set.

The family filed a lawsuit, among other things to be decided at trial, for punitive damages, funeral and burial costs.
On October 5, Halyna’s husband revealed that the civil litigation had been resolved, subject to court approval.

We have negotiated a settlement for our wrongful death lawsuit against “Rust” producers Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC, subject to court approval. Our complaint will be dismissed as a result of that agreement,’ Matthew Hutchins stated in a statement provided to Fox News Digital by Panish | Shea | Boyle | Ravipudi LLP attorney Brian Panish.

“The shooting of ‘Rust,’ which I will now executive produce, will resume in January 2023 with all the original main cast members on board. No, I’m not interested in making excuses or assigning responsibility (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin). We all agree that Halyna’s passing was a sad accident. I appreciate how the creators and the entertainment industry came together to honor Halyna’s final project.

Baldwin also posted a statement on social media about how the lawsuit was settled.

Baldwin captioned a screenshot of an article, “We are glad to announce today the settlement of the civil case filed on behalf of the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.” “Throughout this challenging process, everyone has retained a specific intention to act in Halyna’s son’s best interests. We want to express our gratitude to everyone who helped bring this unfortunate and upsetting situation to a close.

More from the post

MOST READ

Recent Posts